Monday, May 2, 2011

Listening to my muse

Hell of a weekend, huh? I admit I was fascinated by the royal wedding (I've had a special affinity for England since my college trip in 1996) and rejoiced in Bin Laden's reported death (although I feel strange being happy a person is dead no matter how evil they were, I did feel a sense of relief & vindication, especially for the victims of 9/11). Unfortunately I didn't write this weekend in my current work in progress. Perhaps it was all of the excitement in the world over the weekend. I did read over it several times and did some editing but as for new words - zilch.
Strangely enough, I found myself inspired to work on another project: the retelling of the first book I ever wrote, started when I was 14. I wrote 299 pages of that story last summer and abandoned it when I felt no one was interested. I started working on my current work in progress soon afterward (which I still haven't come up with a title for btw) and I am determined to finish the (hopefully) final draft before I leave for the cruise in 10 days!!! EEEEEEK! :D Speaking of the cruise, it was while preparing our door decoration for the cruise that I became all nostalgic for the time period of that book - 1990. After we completed our door decoration, which looks awesome I might add ;), I found myself pulling up the old book and became engrossed. I couldn't put it down. I stayed up until almost 3 a.m. reading back over it. I guess that means I'm a pretty good writer. I found myself getting all tensed up and worried for my characters even though I knew what was going to happen. My iTunes is on shuffle and keeps playing songs from 1988-90. I feel my muse is telling me to work on the old book. So even though I desperately want to finish the current WIP, I think today is going to be a day for writing the older story, the one began in 1990 when I was 14. Actually, with the cruise coming up, it seems only right. For those of you who don't know, the cruise is with New Kids on the Block. It's going to be pretty darn awesome. And the door decoration theme is "Through The Years," hence the nostalgia. The original book was inspired by them - I might as well go ahead and admit that. I like to refer to it as one of the first fan fictions. BUT in the retelling the characters of course have different names and are different guys even if in my head, they're the New Kids. :) Readers can picture them however they want, of course. Anyway, I'm feeling inspired and am going to see what I can create.
For fellow writers: has a scenario like this happened to you? And how did you handle it? Would you complete the current WIP or the one that's been in hibernation for 9 months?

5 comments:

  1. I've not had anything exactly like your situation, but my current situation is a bit that way. My plan for the year involved me starting work on my outline for my third novel at the beginning of May, so that I could start writing in July (it's going to be a complicated outline). But last week a new idea surfaced which has completely captured my attention, and I've put off all work on the July book to get the new one in the bag.

    My advice, unless there's some sort of time pressure (besides a self-imposed deadline), is write what your muse is telling you to write; there's no point writing if you can't write what you love and what you're interested in *right now*. If you try writing your current project while you're pining for the older book, you'll end up distracted and not doing as good a job of it as you could (which means more editing and therefore less fun ;D).

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say write whatever calls to you. If you are drudging through a work but feeling for different characters, your work won't be as good as it should be. If you can't let that other book go, don't. Who cares if anyone is interested or not. If YOU are interested that is what matters.
    http://abookagirlajourney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments. I have been working on the older project so far this week and it's been going well. I do feel as if I'm avoiding the more current WIP since it was so close to completion but I still have the goal of finishing b4 my cruise. Sail date is May 12. We'll see if I can meet my self-imposed deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had this happen a few weeks ago. I went back to the older WIP because that it where my mind was. I figured I would be more productive on that than on the new one.
    It makes sense to write where your heart (and mind) are at the time. If your hear isn't in your writing it will come through to the reader. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I gave you the Stylish blogger award, check it out!
    http://abookagirlajourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete