Saturday, March 13, 2010

A Big Dream

I've been thinking for a while about doing something kinda crazy...the idea has been bouncing around in my head for a while now. Then I dreamed that it was actually happening a while back and it kind of made me wonder if it was possible. It's probably not. Even if it could happen, by some miracle, it would probably take years...But I feel like I keep getting signs to follow my heart and listen to my heart and keep dreaming, etc. It's made me wonder if I should try to somehow make this dream come true. See, I had this idea about writing a book - nonfiction this time, which is highly unusual for me. All of my ideas are usually fiction and usually have a supernatural or thriller-type edge to them. This is completely different. Here's where the idea gets crazy. What I want to do is write a book about the New Kids reunion and have two perspectives: a fan who came back into it only at the reunion (ie, Me) and the point of view of one of the guys themselves. In my dream world, it's of course my favorite, Joe. The reason that I would love for it to be him, not only because he is my favorite but because I love his writing voice when he writes blogs and the essay-type thing he wrote about his summer vacation...that was when I started to have inklings about this idea. I know that it's probably impossible and of course I have no way to talk to him and say wouldn't this be cool? What do you think? I'm not even sure how to go about making it happen ... do I need to get an agent first? Write a spec query letter? I have no idea! But I keep feeling like I should try to make it happen. People will probably say no every step of the way. The question is do I believe in it enough to keep trying? And I think the answer is yes. I think that the fans and maybe some of the public at large would love to read such a book. Think of it: the reunion from the point of view of an avid fan, someone who's loved the group for 22 years and the pov of one of the guys themselves...it'd be so awesome!! At least I think it would. I know we have the DVD and the Vh1 special....but as a writer I want to write about it. I want the fans' voices to be heard as well. Maybe I could write it from just my pov anyway and have it published like that? But my biggest dream is to have both pov's. I honestly don't know if I could make this happen but I would love to find out if it's possible. What do y'all think?

2 comments:

  1. I think you can do anything you set your mind to. :) Of course, I don't know how exactly to go about it, but where there's a will, there's a way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also had a similar dream. In fact, I wrote a query letter about two years ago & emailed it to a newspaper in one of the major cities near where I live, but it was rejected. The editor told me that there wasn't enough $$ in their budget to pay freelancers. I even wrote back stating that I'd like to do the piece for free--for the experience--but it never happened. :( Hopefully one day both of our dreams will come true. :)

    ReplyDelete